Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Explanation

At the end of my last blog entry titled “Acceptance” I wrote “By now, I hope, you can grasp my argument that being too acceptant of yourself can have a negative effect of the self.” Apparently, a few of my readers had trouble grasping my negative concept of acceptance. In this entry I will try explain it more clearly.
People who know me very well knows, when I write, I tend to be very selective choosing my word and get somewhat analytical. When I decided to write the entry on “Acceptance” I wanted to show the pro’s and con’s. In other words, I wanted to show how I handled accepting myself. In the entry titled “Acceptance” I used the entry titled “Taking a Turn” to give a clear picture to my readers. I concluded that I did not give a clear argument talking about my negative concept on accepting myself. When I was writing the entry titled “Acceptance” I was wrestling with my thoughts on how to best describe my concept.
Now, I did a good job showing how being accepted is an excellent contribution to our self-esteem. But when something goes wrong and nobody can figure out why and accepting that this is how it’s going to be; however, in my mind it gives the concept of acceptance a whole new meaning. Acceptance may imply only a lack of outward, behavioral attempts at possible change, but the word is also used more specifically for a felt or hypothesized cognitive or emotional state. Having said that, being too accepting somehow makes you psychologically blind to possible positive change; therefore, this is what I meant by when I said Acceptance having a negative effect. I hope this helps

2 comments:

  1. This does make it clearer to me. I was confused at first. I do enjoy your blog!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete