Thursday, July 21, 2011

High Times

When I started to write this blog I declared that was not going to candy coat myself because it would mean I am fake and I would be misrepresenting myself. I felt needed to utter that to remind myself not to worry about what people think of me. This next entry might be mind-blowing to some of my readers but remember I am keeping it real. I am going to take back to time in my life what I call “High Times” and how I came to a certain realization.

I grew up around people of the 70’s and the 80’s. I would have to say that most of my highlight and what I talked about in my entry titled “Taking a Turn” happened in mid on into the late 80’s. I ran amuck in the in the early part of this time. Not that I was a trouble maker or did bad things, I was just exploring my freedom; therefore, my physical condition was at its peak. And where I grew up, it was paradise. We had three beaches, eight parks, numerous places where we could go play video games, almost a hamburger hut on every block, and everything was within talking distance. The people that I was surrounded by were pretty down earth and they were not prejudice; however, they smoked marijuana and drank.
I knew about the pot smoking and beer drinking, but I wasn’t aloud to do it, of course, because I was a young boy. When I got older and became more aware of these activities I saw it as the ultimate social thing to do. At the start of my teenage years I eventually started smoking pot with the few friends I had without my mom’s knowledge. Eventually I started smoking pot with my mom and her friends when I got older. I had one rule, go to school and I did. Smoking pot was such a social thing that it became a part of my life. It was the thing to do. No peer pressure. Nobody waved a joint in my face, and said: “come on Steve, try it.” In fact, it was such a social thing that I cannot remember how I started. All I know is I liked it at the time.
Right about the middle of my “High Times” time I started having trouble walking and became a guinea pig as I described in the entry title: “Taking a Turn.” Smoking pot became the most social thing I did during this time to where I smoked it heavily, almost every hour on the hour. This went on for quite some time. After the doctors from three different institutions gave a verdict of nothing was wrong I continued to smoke pot and out with my friend.
It wasn’t until a few years after I graduated high school that one day that I woke up in the morning and made a shocking revelation to my mom. I got up out of bed, nothing exciting or dramatic happened the night before, and went to my mom and told her: “I’m quitting smoking.” My mom was shocked at my surprising announcement and made sure every knew. I don’t know what do into me. The best way I could describe it is I looked at how content I was treating my life, and said to myself: “I don’t like this.” A whole lot of people could not believe how I could smoke pot for so long and stop cold turkey without any help or counseling. Looking back now it was will power.
Some people might look down on me ot some may be applause… it’s all about keeping it real.

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever find that smoking pot helped with spasticity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say reading this, one, just met you and could not have guessed it. I do want to say that I know a lot of people who do drugs, a lot of them and not just pot. They don’t want to NOT do them. They love the life. Matter of fact, it is their life. I think it was great you got out when you did before it consumed your life. You have so much to offer with words and wisdom. I think so many more people would to if they could just clean themselves up and want to do it. I was getting to know a man who missed the life of drinking and partying so much and he had Spina Bifida. All the partying and wild times has taken a toll on him as he is getting older and now his disability is much more painful to him. I get that he wanted to escape it in the first place, but I think resisting things that temporarily block out the bad stuff only makes it twice as bad when you finally do come out of it. Who wants to live in a constant state of confusion? I know this is somewhat different I guess but I do applaud you for being able to remove yourself from a potentially harmful situation and move past it. I also would like to say that was really great of your mom to put that out there for everyone to help you. I don’t think anyone should look down on you. Nobody is ever perfect and you came out of it before anyone got hurt and you made things better for yourself in my opinion. Anyone who looks down on you for this simply does so because they feel it makes them better or they cannot see any faults they do, which is actually worse then anything you have done. I have enjoyed the read again and thank you for sharing more of yourself so we can get to know you even better. I hope you continue posting about your life and that you don’t mind my extremely long post J sorry I ramble too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. onelonegirl... i done have spastixicity..but i'm sure it has been experimented with.

    steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simly-E... i like long feedbacks

    Steve

    ReplyDelete