Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Being Realistic


Over the years I was not very confident. For the most part, I was not confident because I was not sure of myself. I was not sure of what I was able to do. After going to college getting into the routine, seeing peope like me, evem seeing people worse off then me, talking to the college counselors, and graping on the knowledge and interacting with other students with that knowledge I began to open my eyes. I began to see possibilities. I began to set goals. But were they realistic?
Being as self cautous as I am I was terrified. I was terrified of not being realistic. I began to wrestle between my goals and being realistic which would result evertime in extreme procrastination. I think an crucial element is knowing the difference between an academic goal and an career goal. My problem wasn't academic; in fact, I do extremely well in my course work. My main problem was I doubted myself and listening to counselor express their concerns about what I wanted to do as a career.
Now if our goals are unrealistic, then we will not be achieving them or moving towards them. This will make us unhappy. So I also believe that setting realistic goals is central to our happiness and life satisfaction. Being realistic is being able to put your emotion, goals and passions you have aside and look at things as they really are. To be able to see beyond what you feel. This goes for abled bodied people too, not just people with disabilities. Ulimately, being realistic is putting your dreams and fantasies aside. Put your ego away for the time being until the super-ego proves the goal is worthy, fruedian speaking.
I could just go ahead and go into a masters programe, thats is how good I am academically; but, if I am being unrealistic I would be myself up for a setback. This is why I am working with a counselor. I know some of you may have bad experiances with such counselors but I believe approach and attitude makes all the difference. My approach is being extemely open, uderstanding and opyimistic; but, only be passive logically. This is how I was able to set up a interview shadowing a counselor and see the life of it, then we can see if it is a realistic decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment