Thursday, August 23, 2012

Put Yourself Out There


I am quite sure there are a lot of disabled people, not just people with cerebral palsy, who are very self cautous to the point that they doubt their owe confidence. Depending on the severity of their disability would most likely determine their level of self caution and/or self confidennce. Ultimately, people with cerebral palsy who are speech impeded, or people with just plain speech impediments would experience this obsticle.
I target the cerebral palsy community because of the uniqeness of this type of disability. Cerebral palsy is one of the most misconceived disabilities in the world. We can be so intellagent yet look just completely the oposite. The problem is we know it. Because we know about how society can easily misuderstand our disability a lot of us unintemtionally become isolated. We don't go out in public. I have had that problem since I went into the wheelchair and also when my speech impediment became more pronounced. The problem can add up for those of us who are more dependent on assistant from a caretaker. I didn't learn this until after I was divorced and/or had to hire a caretaker outside the family. The thing we need to remember, caretakers have their own lives and are not there like your wife, husband, or family would be in terms of socialization.
Don't get get me wrong, there are caretakers that are more compassionate and understanding about the importance of compaionship and socializing. Like getting out, maybe going a movie, going a resturant, or simply just going to a park. Anything where there people, where you can interact with people. There are people out who would be a friend or even help you with an order or with something out of reach. I know it is hard, believe me I do. I have had so many times that I talked myself out of doing thing I can do. Once I finally did go to the doctor my myself, to the store by myself, even to star bucks for a tea where you have to interact, it wasn't that bad at all. It even made me feel better, bubbly, and a little more confident. But I always make the mistake by falling back into the old habit. So, if we keep putting this off it will get harder and harder as we get older. Then we might develop anthropophobia and/or agoraphobia.
This is on us. We have to make it happen. If we want people to be more aware of us we need to put our selves out there. Whether its for love, friendship, goin to the doctor, to a resturant, to starbucks, or simply just to meet people at a park, we need to depend on only us to make that push. Sure, we can ask our caretaker, but don't rely on them to remind you of your plan. I say this because we might talk ourselves out of it leaving our caretaker feeling frustrated. So we have to take charge. In other words, “Put Yourself Out There”.

7 comments:

  1. Bravo, Steve! Love this and will share!

    One of the reasons for the continued stigma and discrimination is because once hurt, people tend to pull away. As hard as it is, that is the time to push forward! People's attitudes cannot change unless they are challenged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you... there are so many of us out there ... yet we its almost like we are invisible...and my post points to one major issue. I dont concentrate on discrimination, i concentrate more on a iterpersonal point of view. once we are out there people will be more aware and that is where the understanding comes in.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks nick.. you know me.. i use to stay in my room...lol

      Delete
  3. Your right in every thing you have said, I am glad you are taking charge steven and helping others by speaking out because alot of people dont i love it !!! take care my friend God bless !!!

    ReplyDelete